Madeline Herbert-Miller was born in London, England and studied at Ealing Art College. In May of 1960, she arrived in Australia from the United Kingdom and commenced Studies with Roy Churcher at Kangaroo Point, Brisbane. During this time, Madeline began work in Window Display, Mural Backdrops and Dress Design. Whilst working in this capacity, she married and raised two boys.
As the children grew, Madeline changed direction and opened her Dress Design Shop, specializing in screen printed original designs, which she ran successfully for three years. During this period Madeline pursued her love of art in the media of pastel and watercolour. She also participated in art workshops with Pene Edwards, Charles Ludlow, Eric Whisson and Lois Beaumer at R.Q.A.S.
She has worked and studied with George Hazzard. In 1993 Madeline started her love affair with Italy, traveling to Tuscany and Florence where she rented a villa, and spent several months painting and touring Europe. Madeline has won many awards for her watercolours and pastels.
• 1998 1st and 2nd in watercolour – Maleny Art Awards
• 1998 People Choice Award – Maleny Art Awards
• 2000 1st in watercolour – Maleny Art Awards Peoples Choice
• 2001 2nd in watercolour – Maleny Art Awards People Choice
• 2001 2nd in watercolour – Maleny Art Awards
• 2002-3 APEX Award for Maleny Art Awards, watercolour
• 2004 2nd in watercolour – St George Art Awards